Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Feminist Rant


Okay. Let’s talk about rape.

Rape is that thing, sniffling and slobbering under the table, brushing against your leg, that no one ever wants to mention by name. No one wants to be that person that calls it accidentally out from under the table, where everyone can see that hideous smushed face and it’s beady eyes, and have to stare at it awkwardly, not knowing just what to say because really, this is polite company and who the hell brought it to the party to begin with. So you sit there, sipping your tea, constantly afraid that the thing will get tripped up in your skirt or mistake you for that one annoying loud guy at the end of the table that is always slipping it treats and bite your fingers off. I get it.

But I’m also really really tired of being told to fear something that I can’t even look in the eyes without being considered impolite. But you know who can call the thing out, even laugh at it, or make it do tricks? Guys. Guys can do that, and girls can too, sometimes, but they’re supposed to be afraid of it all the same. Girls aren’t entertaining when they do that unless they act afraid of it, too.

Dropping the analogy, I’m sick and tired of my brother being allowed to do things I’m not. It’s because I’m a girl, I know it, and I’ve been trained to be afraid of that rape-thing. My brother and I are twins, and let’s face it, girls are more mature at this age, and yet I’m not allowed to go out alone. Yet when my brother wants to it’s alright. Because he’s a big strong man, now. And while he doesn’t have enough common sense to take his phone out of his jeans before washing them, I’m the one condemned to sit trembling at home while he goes off into the world.

Upon asking to go somewhere, I will be subject to a barrage of questions. So will my brother, but the protocol similarities end there. He can go off with his friends, or to the mall alone, or to say, Gettysburg for a weekend with a couple he’s friends with. I am not allowed. The reasoning: I might get “hurt”.

When my mother says I might get “hurt”, she means raped. She does, you might think I’m assuming something wrongly, but it’s true; she’s explained it to me, and will again if ever pressed. She just doesn’t like to say the word. You know that saying that fear of the name increases the fear of the thing itself? (Thanks, Dumbledore) well that’s what rape is with my mom. And I won’t kid you, she’s taught me well. I can’t walk fifteen feet from the door of my art teacher’s place to my car without clutching my bag or thinking someone’s behind me.

And it sucks. It sucks being constantly afraid. But since I’m a weak girl it’s my burden to bear.

Let’s look at the logic behind this.

Yes, girls are naturally weaker than guys in many respects. (This isn’t true in a fight between two trained fighters, but in a jump-out-of-the-shadows-rapey-rapey situation this holds true most of the time anyway)

Yes, the large majority of rapists are men, most attacking women.

Yes, I am a weak teenage girl with long hair and a slight disdain for the painted on skinny jeans fad.

Yes, 44% of rape victims are under age 18.

However:

More than 50% of all sexual assaults reported by victims occurred within one mile of their home, 1/12 in a parking garage, 4/10 in the home, and 2/10 at a friend, neighbor, or relative’s house.

In fact, 73% of rapists (from this site’s numbers, link below) were not strangers.

38% of rapes are committed by a friend or acquaintance.

The rest of that 73% is made up of intimate partners or family members.

Also, my brother (unfortunately) isn’t immune; one out of every ten rape victims in 2003 was male.

43% of rapes occur between 6PM and midnight, 24% between midnight and 6AM, and 33% in between 6AM and 6PM. So statistically I’m more likely to be raped before nightfall, since I go to school and go to bed well before midnight (I’m not a night owl).

Really, if we look at these statistics I’m most likely going to experience sexual assault at the hands of one of my friends or ex-boyfriends or a creepy uncle, in the daylight hours after school, in our around my home. My brother has one tenth of a chance of that happening to him as well. And yet these are the places and people I’m kept around to keep me safe.

Instead of taking this as a chance to become more frightened by life, why don’t we stop wasting time with that and stop teaching our daughters to be illogically terrified whenever they step out of the house. How about we teach them to be aware of their surroundings, and sign them up for karate classes when they ask instead of pushing them towards dance and getting the brother into karate which he never cared that much about anyway. How about we even let them go out more into the real world so that they develop self-reliance and don’t stress needlessly about being around strangers and new places and experiences?

I’m not saying there aren’t rapists and monsters out there to be wary of, but I’m really tired of being taught to fear everything and anything with a penis, and I don’t think it’s very fair that my life is being kept around these principles.

Motto of the story: can we just all stop raping each other so I can go out with my friends and roleplay in the woods?

Thanks,
That would be lovelly,
~Leigh

P.S. I apologize for “Rape” in the first scenario having any resemblance to certain smush-faced dogs, I’m sure your little lapdog is lovely, and that was entirely unintentional.

All statistics from http://www.rainn.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment